Even though it’s not quite over, I can already safely say: my favorite look out of all of Paris Fashion Week was seen at Lanvin. With a porcelain complexion, naturally pretty pink lip, and one seriously exaggerated, dramatic cat eye, this glossy look was as spring-fresh as it was rock ‘n’ roll. During NYFW last month, I had my makeup done very similarly to – who knew it was so on trend?! With a creasy, settled-in lid (they weren’t afraid to go heavy on the cream shadow), Lanvin’s take may be a bit harsh for real life but you can modify accordingly. See the instructions below to master it yourself:
1. The most important step! Prime the eyelid with Stay Don’t Stray Stay-Put Primer from Benefit (at Benefit for $26), so nothing moves or gets streaky and sloppy.
2. Dust a light coat of a nude eye shadow over the lid, selecting a color that is as close to your skin color as possible. I like Blonde from Bobbi Brown – her shadows are silky yet matte and she has a wide variety of shades (at Bobbi Brown for $21).
3. Use a waterproof gel eyeliner, like Jet Set by Smashbox (at Sephora for $22), and start drawing with the outer top line – somewhere between the center of your lid and your brow bone. Then wing it out beyond your eyebrows.
4. Draw back down in a V to connect the line to the outer corner of your eye (smudge between the lines before it dries). Now you have a template to work with. (It’s kind of like coloring with crayons – my son likes to line the border before coloring).
5. Next, draw a line in the center of your eyelid (or if you’re blessed with deep set eyes, this would be your crease line).
6. Smudge the center line both above and below the crease before the gel liner dries.
7. To blend and make it smoky, use a black or gray eye shadow to soften the entire eyelid (within the lines!). Again, Bobbi Brown’s work famously. Et Voila! A bold and dramatic look. Keep the rest of your make up clean.
8. Use Yves Saint Laurent Touche Éclat around the upper cheekbone for a rejuvenated glow (at Sephora for $40).
9. Add a soft, peachy blush to keep things fresh. I like NARS in Deep Throat (at Sephora for $28).
10. Finally, finish it all off with a pale pink or nude gloss, like Laura Mercier’s Lip Glacé in Bare Baby (at Laura Mercier for $24).