When it comes to beauty, we look to the runway for inspiration. Even if we can’t afford the lust-worthy accessories and covetable couture sent marching down the runway, we can at least appropriate the beauty looks to our own routines, right? Well, sometimes! While loads of looks (a scarlet lip and naked eye, the dewy, bronzed glow) fall seamlessly off the runway and settle onto the street, some need to stay in the creative bubble and away from reality. Here, 2011’s top 5 looks that should never make it a step past the runway:
1) Anna Sui Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear: Asians have been (unsuccessfully) doing the doubled-up liner look for years, and it still doesn’t work. From afar, it might give it the reasonable effect you want but you will pretty much need to avoid any face-to-face contact. Leave it for editorials only, please!
2) Alexander Wang Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear: The Groucho Marx eyebrow is taking serious stake in current trends, which worries me. Proenza even took it a step further on the runway with spiked brows. I don’t like thin (or 2010’s bleached-out) brow, but make sure you know where to draw the line. Literally!
3) Giambattista Valli Spring 2011 Ready-to-Wear: Tina and I used to be obsessed with Origins Underwear for Lashes, which primes the lashes for maximum mascara application. But we have both made the mistake of forgetting to put on actual mascara and leaving the house looking like we have white mascara on: NOT a good look!
4) Donna Karan, Prada, and Rag & Bone Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear: Along with a few other designers, these three did the sallow tonal face. With sunset-orange eyes and semi-monochrome lips and cheeks, this one might be tempting as a “fresh” face look, but you actually just look sick.
5) Thakoon Fall 2011 Ready-to-Wear: This shocking, New Wave-inspired eye is the one look that was unfortunately overly done, both on and off the runway. In the right atmosphere, with impeccable lighting and a strong sense of stage, red shadow might be okay on the runway. On the streets, it looks theatrical and not flattering in any way.